Re: [linux-audio-user] MIDI sequencing "best practices" with multiple tracks?

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 19:02:33 EEST

On 9/30/05, mrmoo1231@email-addr-hidden <mrmoo1231@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I've been working on sequencing some stuff (favorite
> 20th cent. organ pieces) using apps like Rosegarden or
> Muse, and since I don't have a MIDI keyboard hooked
> up, I input tracks based on the different organ-stop
> colors intended by the composer.
>
> What I'm wondering is, are there certain principles to
> efficient sequencing, such as avoiding long stretches
> of "non-events" in a track? Is it better, say, to end
> a track at the last note event in a phrase, and then
> pick up with a different track or different segment
> when that particular "voice" starts again?
>
> Am I making sense?
> Thanks for any ideas or thoughts.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

I'm going to guess that if it matters technically then it's probably
sequencer dependent. That said I think that should you want to export
your MIDI work to a standard MIDI file at some later date it *might*
be helpful to have at least broken different parts of a MIDI track
into segments/regions so that you can grab just the parts you want for
export.

As for me I prefer to keep a single instrument on a single track. When
I'm working with orchestral stuff it's hard enough to see the
instruments without adding more tracks. In your case organ music does
have its colors and that might be nice to place on separate tracks
since you know the whole piece is organ.

Let the music guide you.

- Mark