Re: [linux-audio-user] I/O scheduler for 2.6 kernel

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 30 2005 - 22:17:09 EEST

On 9/30/05, Mike Taht <mike.taht@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > Probably I should report this in a separate thread. I do not intendto
> do any thread hijacking here but it does seem related.
> > Yesterday I finally managed to build 2.6.14-rc2-rt7 for my AMD64system.
> Out of the box it's working very, very well. I've doneabsolutely no
> configuration of the system. I've not set anythingspecial. Just booted it,
> started Jack at 128/2 as a user usingrealtime-lsm, and have been streaming
> ogg files for 4 hours from oneof my 1394a audio drives. In that time I've
> been browsing the web,doing email and updating the system. I've built a new
> kernel, copied abunch of files from drive to drive and run a couple of
> existing Ardoursessions. While all of that was going on I fired up xine and
> played aDVD movie in the background on my EIDE DVD drive just to create
> somemore system usage.
> > I've not had a single operational xrun in nearly 4 hours. The onlyones
> I've had come when starting and stopping apps.
> > Everything's working great for me, but this is less than 24 hoursso far
> so take it with a grain of salt.
> > This is Gentoo, AMD64 3000+, 512MB, 250GB SATA drive, 4 1394
> harddrives( three 1394a and one 1394b) , PCI-Express 16X ATI.
> > Note: Executables seem larger on this AMD64 system. I'll needanother
> 512MB one day soon as I do seee a small amount of swapping onthis system.
> (<30KB) I never saw that when running 32-bit.
> > Cheers,Mark
> >

> welcome to the 64 bit world.... I am planning on adding at least another gig
> of ram to my laptop shortly, 'cause linuxsampler is eating me alive. I've
> already done stuff like get rid of gnome (now running evilwm), and turn off
> all non-essential services... can't run ardour+rosegarden+linuxsampler
> w/bosendorfer all at the same time without putting quite a bit on swap, and
> I get to about 30 voices on LS before it starts to break up.

I think if you put in another GB LS will just eat that up also. I've
tried to get the developers to put some limits on it but I haven't
been very successful. (Full disclosure - I'm till using a pretty old
version myself. Maybe it's better now...)

> I started using the cfq scheduler a bit last week. It + the ionice utility
> *seemed* to improve LS's performance but that may be a placebo effect.
>
> thx for testing the latest series of rt kernels. I had got to a stable
> kernel a month or two back and didn't want to upgrade. :)

Don't blame you! This wasn't easy, but hey, I did it!

Cheers,
Mark from down the hill...