Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] Qsynth 0.2.4 released!

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 11:03:32 EEST

Ivica Bukvic wrote:
>>Let me spread the word:) finally there comes this bug and some other
>>usability fixes on today's latest Qsynth 0.2.4 release.
>>
>>As you might know already, Qsynth is a fluidsynth GUI front-end
>>application, written in C++ around the Qt3 toolkit, using Qt Designer.
>>
>>Please check it out from:
>>
>> http://qsynth.sourceforge.net
>>
>>Upgrade is highly recommended as this one fixes a very annoying crash
>>bug that has been lurking for ages.
>

> Awesome!
>
> Btw, although I am still using an older version, I was wondering whether the
> following is a "feature" or a "bug." Also, if the latter proves to be the
> case, has this been fixed in this version?
>
> Namely, I ran 2 synths both of which were using my soundfont which has 2
> banks: first one is the sound and the second one is "dummy" empty soundfont.
> The reason for this is because I was unable to set qsynth to have first
> channel empty with the soundfont bank being on the second channel without
> having to put something into the first (Is this the way it is supposed to
> be? If so, please allow me to suggest a small feature request where Qsynth
> could allow to put a soundfont on any channel without having previous
> channels populated so that if I am to use one soundfont that is to coexist
> on two separate channels due to their different spatialization which
> requires separate outputs, that I can do so without employing a "dummy"
> soundfont)

IIUC all this seems to be fluidsynth bound. Multiple soundfonts are
stacked by engine, and the last loaded one takes precedence over the
same bank/programs. Thats why you cannot assign one bank/program from a
previously loaded soundfont to a channel if some later soundfont is
loaded which implements the same bank/program number pair.

I believe there's help with the bank-offset thingie, but I can't tell
you much more as I don't grasp it very well ;)

> However, if I alter the channel mapping of banks, even though Qsynth saves
> all other aspects of its state upon closing, the channel selection upon
> every restart defaults back to the order of the soundfont banks as set in
> the actual soundfont. Would it be possible to make it remember the state of
> the banks as well or is this a fluidsynth issue?

Have you tried to name and save your channel layouts as presets?

Cheers.

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc@email-addr-hidden