Re: [linux-audio-user] AGNULA nightmares, again

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 03 2005 - 16:00:18 EEST

On Monday 03 October 2005 16:22, Dave Phillips wrote:
> robin wrote:
> > On the command-line network-admin
>
> That would have been easy, but no such utility exists for this
> installation.
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Hi Dave. If you want to have a go at a "roll your own" Gentoo style config,
I'm sending my /etc/network/interfaces file. This is from my Debian Sarge
install, set up statically (no dhcp) . You'll need to change "Address" to the
IPaddress you want to use for the machine, and maybe the gateway if you're
not using 192.168.0.1. The rest should be ok if you're using addresses in the
range 192.168.x.x. The entry "auto eth0" is to start the network at bootup.

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
 address 192.168.0.7
 netmask 255.255.255.0
 network 192.168.0.0
 broadcast 192.168.0.255
 gateway 192.168.0.1

iface dsl-provider inet ppp
     provider dsl-provider
# please do not modify the following line
     pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf

You will also need to edit /etc/resolv.conf adding your DNS IP address, which
should be showing on your other install. Mine is.

nameserver 213.36.80.1

Just change the address to that supplied by you're ISP.

Otherwise just copy what is in those two files on your other machine, changing
the address line to a different IP address specific to the machine that the
OS is on.

You'll probably need to re-boot the machine after making the changes.

Fedora Core has a nice interface for setting up the network, and Gentoo, if I
remember correctly uses the same one. Debian has something called DSL/PPPoE
configuration tool, which I havn't tried as the network was setup on install,
but I have changed the IP address of the machine with no problem
in /etc/network/interfaces. It's a pity that some distro's make it so
difficult to setup something so necessary as the network.

Another thing to consider is if your network card is detected, and the driver
loaded at bootup. I use Realtek 8139 cards and the driver is 8139too.
Running /sbin/lsmod should identify the NIC's driver on your other install.
With the 2.6 kernel I had to add the driver to /etc/modules. Post back if
I've missed anything or am insulting you're inteligence. All the best. Nigel.