Re: [linux-audio-user] AGNULA nightmares, again

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 13:25:44 EEST

On Tuesday 04 October 2005 12:34, Nigel Henry was like:
> Hi Tim. As you've spent all afternoon waiting for the big music remix
> fracas to start again,

Or possibly the opposite. ;)

> and Dave Philips hasn't come back on what additions
> to make to the wiki, I thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in. The man page is
> fine if you are really up to speed with Linux, but having looked through it
> earlier on, I wouldn't know where to start with a blank page
> in /etc/network/interfaces, as with roll your own Gentoo. Admittadly most
> distro's have a partially contructed page. I think an addition could be
> made regarding a nameserver entry in /etc/resolv.conf, also, perhaps, an
> example of an /etc/network/interfaces file, with instructions to change IP
> address and gateway if necessary for static setups. Perhaps showing changes
> that need to be made if wanting to use dhcp. Personally I don't see any
> point in using dhcp unless you are using more than 10 or so machines. I've
> put
> my /etc/network/interfaces file below from one of my Debian installs if you
> want to add it to the wiki as an example.
>
> # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
>
> # The loopback interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
> installation
> # (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>  address 192.168.0.7
>  netmask 255.255.255.0
>  network 192.168.0.0
>  broadcast 192.168.0.255
>  gateway 192.168.0.1
>
> iface dsl-provider inet ppp
>      provider dsl-provider
> # please do not modify the following line
>      pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
>
> This is on a client machine going through a layer 2 switch to a Smoothwall
> Express 2 firewall, connected to the net by serial modem.
>
> You're free to use this to update the wiki, as no ones going to hack my
> private address. I'd do it myself, but have never updated wiki pages
> before.

Thanks for your suggestions Nigel. I'll mull this over. Most of this stuff is
fairly clearly documented in Debian reference and most network cards get
auto-configured. Also, the GNOME guis are very good for relative newbies.
That said, I will add a little more info and pointers to this section as it
obviously isn't that clear.

--
cheers,
tim hall