Re: [linux-audio-user] [LAM] some music

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 09 2005 - 09:46:35 EEST

On Thursday 06 October 2005 12:10, Dave Griffiths was like:
> thanks Nigel! pattern B was a difficult one as the scale is so different
> from equal temperament. I'm so used to hearing (and making) melodic music
> in equal temperament it's difficult to make music in other scales.
> Hopefully with time it'll get easier...

I think you are using voices with a tonal spectrum that is a little wide for
the scale, it sounds as if there is some additional detuning, plus quite a
lot of semi-tone / whole-tone clashes, especially at the beginning. I'm
wondering if the harmonics / partials of the tone are creating dissonances
with the melody. I would suggest trying the same thing with closer to sine
tones. It's also possible that this kind of scale would traditionally be used
for melody only with no attempt to harmonise or counterpoint (?) dunno
really. I can't say it bothers me that much.

Thanks for releasing these tunes.

--
cheers,
tim hall