Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Short movie with music

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 11 2005 - 16:15:33 EEST

On Tuesday 11 October 2005 01:34, Paul wrote:
> Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>, on Sat Oct 08, 2005 [06:48:57 PM] said:
>
> > the .avi codecs, so I put Mplayer on a Gentoo install on the other
> > machine. Great. I've got sound but no video, except a "Matrix" type thing
> > on the screen. No .avi codecs came with Mplayer, and I'm not sure how to
> > find em on Gentoo, so back to fixing the other machine. Real "Big
> > problems in Little
>
> Hi;
>
> 'emerge gentoolkit'
> 'equerry u mplayer | more'
>
> That will show all the USE variables possible, and explain
> briefly what they do. Edit your /etc/make.conf USE line, or pass
> what you want to change when you emerge mplayer.
>
> e.g. 'USE="win32codecs" emerge mplayer'
>
> Paul
> set@email-addr-hidden

Hi Paul. Thanks for the reply. I had subsequently got Mplayer fixed on Gentoo,
but didn't post back as the original post was about Norv's movie. It turned
out that I was so impatiant to watch the movie, that I didn't have the
correct video driver selected. gl X11 (OpenGL) & the gl2 multiple
textures version both work, but at the time I thought it was a codecs
problem. Not knowing where to look, to find out what packages connected with
Mplayer were available, you know. Something like synaptic. I gave up and
fixed the FC1 hardware problem so as to watch the movie on that. Any pointers
on where I can find an available packages list on Gentoo? I still can't play
the movie at full screen on the Gentoo machine, even though it's a faster
machine than the one with FC1 on it. The video becomes stuttery and the sound
becomes broken up, but at about half screen size it's ok. Mplayer seems quite
complex, and had only used it for playing DVD's until Norv's movie, so I've
obviously got to learn a lot more about it. Nigel.