[linux-audio-user] sub $200 sound card recommendations

From: reuben <rf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 07:38:10 EEST

Hello,

I'm hoping to spend no more than $200 to get a sound card that'll do
everything I need from it. It will function as the center of the sound
system in my art gallery; I'd like to connect it to a mixer via RCA. 2
output channels + headphone monitor would be ideal, although I could
live with just two of the three. I do not need digital, and I do not
need surround, although neither would hurt. I do like the idea of an
external interface but that is not necessary.

I'm running Ubuntu 5.4, 2.6 kernel, etc etc. I don't really have a lot
of time to spend futzing with compiling & recompiling drivers; I'd like
something that is easily (& well) supported by ALSA or some other
alternative.

I'd read a lot of good things about the M-Audio cards -- which one if
so? Or would you spring for one of the SB Audigies? Or other?

Thanks
Reuben