Re: [linux-audio-user] ablton live emulation

From: Dave Griffiths <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 14 2005 - 18:07:44 EEST

> But as I said, as a performer, I simply use Live and m laptop :)

about 90% of the live "laptop performances" I've seen with linux use pure
data. it would be possible (I should imagine) to rig up a pd patch that
had some of the elements of live, although it's a very different paradigm,
the advantage being that you'd have more power over how it works.

another program commonly used live is supercollider, a similar tool to pd
in that you have to "build it yourself", but it's very powerful and used
by quite a cross section of musicians. there are also a lot of people
(including myself) who write custom software for live performances.

one advantage of linux is that its possible to configure your machine for
this sort of work, and jack (in conjuction with a low latency kernel)
allows you to get very stable audio. I must admit I've never tried
performing with another os, but I like the fact I can run one script that
sets my machine up for a gig (launches jack with the right settings,
starts apps, connects them together etc), which takes a lot of the
pressure away in the heat of the moment.

I guess there is no one monolithic "point and click" app that will do all
this in the way that live does, but lots of smaller ones, which in a lot
of ways is preferable.

cheers,

dave