Re: [linux-audio-user] ablton live emulation

From: Dave Griffiths <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 14 2005 - 19:27:14 EEST

> I dont get it, I dont know half the names you just told me.

sorry, forgot to add the links :)

pd:
http://www-crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/software.html
http://puredata.info/

supercollider:
http://www.audiosynth.com/

> So, what should I look for as an absolute beginner?

well, I mentioned those apps as examples of what I've seen people using
for performance in linux, but pd is more suited for the beginner -
supercollider is often seen as more complicated as you have to use
smalltalk (an object orientated language) to use it. as smalltalk was
originally designed for teaching children to program it is suitable for
beginners but maybe not what you are looking for.

for a more traditional setup with the normal combination of synths,
samplers and sequencers there are plenty of apps to choose from:
http://opensourcemusic.info
http://sound.condorow.net/

and as for a controller sequencer for a live setup, I'd recommend seq24:
http://www.filter24.org/seq24/
which is developed with live performance in mind, with a clear simple
interface.

cheers,

dave