Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] WhySynth DSSI softsynth

From: Christoph Eckert <ce@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 15 2005 - 17:38:51 EEST

Hi,

just tested anew:

> > * When [playing WhySynth] from a MIDI keyboard, there's an audible
> > delay
> > between releasing the key until the note gets cut off.
>
> Hmm, I haven't observed this on my end, except that it would
> be expected if your output envelope mode is AASRR or ASRRR, or
> even AAASR with a 'hold' shape on the last segment -- all of these
> would appear to be delays before the note cut off.

didn't notice it again; I guess you're right and I did choose patches
with envelope seetings you mentioned above. Sorry for the traffic.

> > * Pedal hold gets recognized, but notes are only held until I
> > release the last note. This way I cannot hold a note via the pedal
> > and tweak parameters.
>
> Hmm, I can't reproduce this either -- sustain works fine from both
> vkeybd and my KX88 MIDI controller.  I'm really curious if you would
> have the same trouble with Xsynth-DSSI or hexter, as their sustain is
> based on very similar, but not identical code, and are well tested.
> Something else you could try would be to edit src/whysynth.h and
> define Y_DEBUG to be YDB_NOTE, then recompile, watch stderr
> as you run it and see if the note on/off and sustain CCs are reaching
> the plugin in the correct sequence.

I did, some lines you'll find attached. BTW: Zyn does behave the same:
Hold is recognized as long as at least one note remains active, but
hold is lost as soon as the last note gets released. Further thing: My
pedal does not necessarily send Hold on as a value of 64 or 127 but as
arbitrary values between 64 and 127. The jack is a multi jack, I can
even connect a swell pedal to it and assign an arbitrary controller
number.

Best regards

    ce

whysynth.so y_synth_control_change: got sustain control of 0
whysynth.so y_handle_event called with event type 10
whysynth.so y_synth_control_change: got sustain control of 87
whysynth.so y_handle_event called with event type 10
whysynth.so y_synth_control_change: got sustain control of 125
whysynth.so y_handle_event called with event type 10
whysynth.so y_synth_control_change: got sustain control of 127
whysynth.so y_handle_event called with event type 6
whysynth.so y_synth_alloc_voice: key 67 voice 0x80e4128
whysynth.so y_handle_event called with event type 6
whysynth.so y_synth_alloc_voice: key 65 voice 0x80e4ec8
whysynth.so y_handle_event called with event type 7
whysynth.so y_synth_note_off: key 67 rvel 0 voice 5 note id 42
whysynth.so y_handle_event called with event type 7
whysynth.so y_synth_note_off: key 65 rvel 0 voice 6 note id 43
whysynth.so y_handle_event called with event type 7
whysynth.so y_synth_note_off: key 72 rvel 0 voice 3 note id 35