Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-users] jack_fst and gcc4

From: <torbenh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 16 2005 - 09:43:11 EEST

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 09:33:07AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 10/13/05, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 16:59 +0200, Cesare wrote:
> > > I think that a clean solution to host vst plugins (at least the effects)
> > > could be this : taking the wine approach (and maybe some code) and just
> > > implement those calls that are relevant to audio plugins (file access
> > > for loading and saving presets, math libraries etc.) without handling
> > > graphics at all.We have the info for the effect parameters in the dll
> > > and we can provide a standard interface (like the simpler vst effects in
> > > cubase) to tweak parameters.
> > >
> > > Is this possible?
> >
> > absolutely not possible.
> >

> I'll go even a bit further. VSts are Windows programs and they should
> just work under Wine. Paul & Torben's time is probably better spent
> elsewhere.
>
> I'd like to see every Linux Audio user interested in this subject
> start pressing the Wine folks to support this themselves. Let's pay
> attention to the Windows apps that can host VSTs and VSTi's. Acid Pro
> is a commercial one that comes to mind. Fruity Loops, etc. There's got
> to be free VST loaders out there for Windows. Older versions of Acid
> install and run fine under Wine but do not handle VSTs very well. The
> new versions don't install or run.
>
> Putting together yet another hack outside of Wine that will run for 1
> year and then die when gcc5 comes out would be disappointing. Let's
> get the Wine folks to support this.
>
> Please enter apps in the Wine AppDB and enter test results in Wine's
> Bugzilla. If there are enough of us entering 100's of apps then
> they'll pay attention. Maybe not fast, but I believe they will.

i still believe, that the current xfst approach is a clean solution.
it does no more use the libwinelib hack.
its a wine app which uses jack natively.

i mailed it to several people who reported success IIRC.

i mailed it to them because i dont have the time to open a
sourceforge-project etc. for it.
i thought that some of them would invest the time to make it available
publicly.
(paul, did you actually test it ? i know you dont have the time either,
and as long as we dont provide some linker wrapper its not COMPLETE. )

but hey: it does not use the "pull wine into an app not knowing wine"
approach.

i dont have the time to (use my computer / write mail) very often.

so someone should step forward and try to get xfst outthere soon.
with webpage, README etc.

xfst is a wine (not win) app which loads vsts and binds them to jack
ports.

i upload my current state to http://galan.sf.net/xfst-0.3.tar.gz
please report success or failure in this thread. my response latency is
very high.

i am very sorry that galan cant load vsts currently.
but hell it should load dssi plugs.

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language