Re: [linux-audio-user] Focusrite Saffire (and other DSP firewire cards) Linux compatible ?

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 19 2005 - 13:05:06 EEST

On Tuesday 18 October 2005 14:09, Jean-Baptiste Mestelan was like:
> Hello, people :-)
>
> I hope this will not be too much OT ...
>
> I am considering the firewire audio interface Focusrite Saffire.
> Though it is not natively supported on Linux, an open-source project
> exists, aiming to provide support for such Firewire based breakout
> boxes.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/freebob/
>
> I trust this driver works successfully for a few cards already ; my
> question follows :
> - Focusrite Saffire is a bit special, as it has on-board DSP effects
> (reverb, etc) , controlled by provided PC/Mac software. Would this all
> have to be re-implemented in order to work on Linux ? Or is there any
> chance it would work on Linux ?
>
> I guess I might get relevant answers from the project site, but I
> could not find a place to post questions.

Focusrite as a company are fairly Linux-aware. I had a nice conversation with
Phil Dudderidge about the saffire earlier this year. I doubt they'll be
releasing GPL'd code anytime soon, but I know they would see the sense in
supporting Linux. It probably is worth talking to them.

--
cheers,
tim hall