[linux-audio-user] The standard FC4 kernel burps XRUNS

From: thewade <pdman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 20 2005 - 19:32:41 EEST

Hello again,

I have another question for you all: can the Ingo's realtime kernel
fixes be implemented as a module?
(I know that it sounds silly, but I had to ask)

Here is my situation. I am running FC4 on an AMD64 (with a 32-bit os
because PD's arrays dont work in 64-bit) and a hammerfall card. I am
using the standard kernel because rpm.livna.org has an ATI kernel module
that allows me to use my graphics card as it should be used.
I used to use Ingo's realtime kernel patches, but I was gambling that
speeding up drawing to the screen might save me as much time as the
realtime patch. WRONG!
I used to be able to run jackd with 128 frames per period and 2 periods
per buffer (~5ms), but now for the same occasional xrun I need 512
frames per period (~20ms). Ugh.

Can I have my cake and eat it to - have the standard kernel and install
the patch as an rpm (ATI=good && sound=good)?
Or do I have to build a new kernel using Ingo's patches, then build the
ATI kernel module seprately as well? Is a realtime patched kernel even
compatable with the ATI module I wonder.

So many questions: can anyone help?
Thank you for your continued support,
-thewade