Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [ardour-users] jack_fst and gcc4

From: Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Oct 23 2005 - 20:52:31 EEST

Dave Phillips wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> What's DSSI? Answering self:
>>
>> http://dssi.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> From a quick read, how does DSSI allow me to run commercial VST's? Not
>> clear. Seems like something homegrown that competes.
>>

>>> As far as I can tell, the vstserver
>>> project is dead, and the fst project is on a back-burner, so perhaps we
>>> should concentrate on xfst and dss-vst with the latest WINE releases ?
>>>

>> xfst & latest Wine - definitely yes. What's dss-vst? Google didn't
>> tell me anything.
>>

> Sorry about the typo, it should have read dssi-vst. But I think that's
> been made clear by some other posts to this thread.
>
>>> Also, I'm in the process of rewriting the VST+Linux tutorial, I'm
>>> displacing the vstserver and fst material and putting up front new
>>> material regarding my experience with xfst and DSSI. It should be
>>> completed tomorrow (I'm not at my Demudi machine).
>>>

>> Seems possibly a bit premature based on these results but I probably
>> don't have a good view. Clearly the jack_fst stuff that's been there
>> for the last year or more is probably no longer helpful to many. It
>> seems like xfst and at least last months Wine is probably a better
>> solution, but has it been tested with enough VST's to think it works
>> well? Performance? xruns? All the messy stuff of real life? ;-)
>>

> I'm not going to put up a revised edition until I resolve the
> winebuild issues with Torben's Makefile. The only problem appears to
> be a syntax issue, hopefully I can resolve it within a few days.
>
> Best,
>
> dp

Not to muddy the waters guys but Mark, you quoted "Going back to a
previous Wine version was Not an option". Just curious why...

Thac, whom packages now primarily for PClinuxOS, has recently packaged
Xfst againts 20050830 (two months old) and it appears to work fine.
Including HyperCanvas synth which I know I have Dave hooked on for life! :)

Is the latest Wine version doing some cool stuff with other M$ based
audio apps? Or are you simply remaining vigilant to promote forward
growth? Not that I'd disagree with that concept but its ironic we have
lived with using a Wine version , indeed, the ONLY reliable version that
jack_fst or dssi would work against for the mass's that was quite old.

Cheers,

R~