Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] Sineshaper 0.4.0

From: Lars Luthman <larsl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 24 2005 - 01:24:22 EEST

On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 23:58 +0200, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> > The Sineshaper synth comes with some presets that you can play or use
> > as starting points for your own synth settings. You can not change
> > these "factory presets", but you can create and save your own
> > presets. They are written to the file .sineshaperpresets in your home
> > directory. If you make any nice presets I would really like to hear
> > them.
>
> no it built fine and I had the occasion to play a bit with it.
>
> Some comments, if you're interested:
>
> * The presets don't show up for any reason

Yes, some people on the #lad channel had this problem too. I fixed the
bug and uploaded a new tarball (0.4.1, it's available on the same
webpage now). A way to avoid it with 0.4.0 would be to run
'./configure --with-dssi-dir=/usr/local/lib/dssi/' (or any other
directory where you want to install it, the / at the end is the
important part) and then 'make clean' and 'make install'.

> * If the default settings could be adjusted, it would give a more
> immediate start:
> ** Decrease Gain (! ;-)
> ** Decrease Delay
> ** Decrease amp release time

I'll look into this. Default port values are a bit tricky with LADSPA
(and DSSI) plugins, to set an exact value I think you need to use an RDF
file (which some hosts don't support). Most DSSI hosts will select the
first available program when starting the plugin though, and with the
above fix the programs should actually be loaded, so that might give you
the somewhat nicer default settings of "Factory preset 0".

> * I noticed that parameter changes take a long time until these take
> effect. Even moving the pitch bend wheel did last some milliseconds
> until it was audible. Same when playing with the UI controls

Most of the parameters have an internal slew limiter to prevent clicks
and pops that could be generated if the parameters were changed too
fast. This slew limiter might need some tuning, I'm really bad at
hearing latency. I'll try to make it a bit faster.

The pitch bend is a special case - I just discovered a rather
embarrassing bug. The fundamental frequency will _never_ change faster
than the portamento time allows, so if you move the pitch wheel fast the
frequency will lag behind. This is an easy fix though.

> * Can it be switched to be polyphonic?

Not without some more code. I haven't really planned a polyphonic
version, but I might make one at some point in the future.

Thank you for your bug reports and comments!

--
Lars Luthman
PGP key:     http://www.d.kth.se/~d00-llu/pgp_key.php