[linux-audio-user] Edirol FA-66 Working Setup

From: Bradley A. Hare <bhare@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 24 2005 - 03:23:42 EEST

Just a short node for those having problems - I j
just got an Edirol FA-66 working at 48 kHz with Ardour.

So far I've only tested two channel recording, but I
have not seen a glitch (xrun) for ~10 minutes of test
time. Now that the hardware is working I need to
get on to some "real" projects. I will post if
I notice anything.

Here are the details

1G PIII, ASUS TUV-4X MB 1.5G ram
66 mhz IDE
Belkin F5U503 Firewire (TI Chipset)
Linux 2.6.12.5 (slackware 10.1, stock kernel - no patches )

For the kernel config:

CONFIG_IEEE1394_PCILYNX=y
CONFIG_IEEE1394_OHCI1394=y

CONFIG_IEEE1394_VIDEO1394=y
CONFIG_IEEE1394_SBP2=y
CONFIG_IEEE1394_SBP2_PHYS_DMA=y
# CONFIG_IEEE1394_ETH1394 is not set
CONFIG_IEEE1394_DV1394=y
CONFIG_IEEE1394_RAWIO=y
# CONFIG_IEEE1394_CMP is not set

DO NOT Enable IEC61883-1 Plug support,
this gave me fits with an "all of
the plugs are offline" error from
the jack back end.

For the libs:

It is very important that you use all of the right libs,
here is what I have.

libavc1394 0.5.0 Later versions will not work !
libraw1394 1.2.0 release version ( http://www.linux1394.org/ )
libiec61883 1.0.0 release version ( same source)
liblo-0.18P Must be the version from
                 https://sourceforge.net/projects/freebob/
ieee1394 Kernel Version

I initially screwed up and installed libavc 0.5.1 and got nothing
from the freebob daemon.

Right now linux1394.org seems to be down more often than
it is up. There have been mirrors for the key drivers.
Google, or check the freebob-devel mailing list archives.

The freebob drivers are the release versions on
sourceforge (freebob-prealpha-2). You will not find
the 61883 back end for jack anywhere else. I am using jackd
0.100.0 from the freebob sourceforge download page
(https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=117802 ).

Before starting jack, setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19 might help.
Also, make sure you have all the usual system configuration done
for jack (see the jack home page).

I run with:

$ freebob

to start - you should see it reading out the capabilities of the
interface.

then:

jackd -d iec61883 -o osc.udp://localhost:31000 -p 512 -b 500 -s 0 -i 8
-t 16 -r 8192

I am starting freebob in one xterm and jackd in another,
you should see them talking if everything is trying to work.

Most of this I gleaned from the archive of freebob-devel at:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=freebob-devel&r=1&w=2

I have not been able to kill jack without hanging the
IEEE1394 interface. Running jack after a kill always
results in the following error:

DRIVER NT: could not start driver

Rebooting seems to be the only way to clear the interface.

Regards to All,

Brad Hare