Re: [linux-audio-user] Non-graphical synthesiser solution?

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 14:33:17 EEST

On Wed, 2005-26-10 at 03:39 +0000, S. Massy wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am toying with the idea to re-start playing with digital synthesis
> once again (haven't done so in a while now). Judging by the number of
> synth packages in the Debian archive, there is more than a few out
> there; however, most of them (bristol, ams, etc.) seem to be
> GUI-controlled (and hence require an x-server), which is not very
> practical for me. I can think of a few ways to rig up a modular synth
> with, say, ecasound, jack, and aconnect, but I was wondering if there is
> any programme, package, or idea already out there to make this easier. I
> also started playing with SuperCollider today, but language-driven
> synthesis are, by necessity, more of a long-term endavour, and, right
> now, I'm looking for more of a modular synth solution, especially
> LADSPA-driven. Any idea?

Modular synth, no (mandatory) GUI, LADSPA driven?

http://om-synth.nongnu.org

Everything is controlled through OSC. There are Python and
Supercollider bindings included in the source tree (SC is only in CVS
though, as of a few days ago) if you're into that sort of thing, as well
as a simple command-line patch loading client (and a full out GTK one).
There's no command line patch saving client yet though.. mail the list
or put it on the wiki if you need one

Disclaimer: I wrote it :)

-DR-