Re: [linux-audio-user] Miscellaneous hardware/software questions

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 23:04:35 EET

On Wed, 02 Nov, 2005 at 09:25PM +1100, Jason White spake thus:
> On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 02:10:29PM +0000, james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net wrote:
> > I don't think it needs to be *that* difficult. At least for a basic
> > editor for cutting, pasting, applying fades, etc.
> I agree, but others have identified the challenging aspect - how to identify
> with sufficient accuracy the point at which to apply an
> insertion/deletion/block/cut/copy operation, and how to navigate through the
> file with appropriate feedback. Audio feedback might be possible, but there
> would have to be some provision for scaling the timing by different factors to
> allow the desired moment to be pinpointed.
> >
> > After reading this post, I quickly posted the idea to my final year
> > students as a possible honours project for them. Some haven't yet
> > decided, and I thought this would be a good one. I was thinking of a
> > kind of "audio shell", with python-like slicing, but with
> > understanding of audio. This way, you could make the text very big
> > for people with reduced sight, or pipe output to a speech engine for
> > people with no sight. Or both.
> The latter part is handled by projects such as Speakup, Yasr and BRLTTY which
> provide, respectively, speech and braille display access at the console level.
> There are also several screen magnification projects on offer, including the
> Gnopernicus magnifier.

Yes, this is exactly why I love unix. All we need is to get something
text based and the rest is taken care of.

> > I hope someone takes the project, because even though I don't think it
> > would necessarily be the big ground-breaking interface redesign you
> > thought it would require, it will give us something to work from -
> > usability data, and such.
> If someone does take the project I'de be interested in discussing it further
> and trying out whatever is developed.

No takers, I'm afraid. Maybe next year. I just don't have the time
to do it myself, although I might have a little play when I can.

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)