Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] Audio CDs/DRM/Windows rootkit. What's next?

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 05 2005 - 14:22:06 EET

On Friday 04 November 2005 15:12, Mark Knecht was like:
> On 11/4/05, Burkhard Woelfel <versuchsanstalt@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > > Come on, FonyBMG and all the other biggies are idiot thieves on a
> > > desperate rampage. In the past decade music industry has panicked out
> > > of every single smart thing. They managed to screw their own A&R for
> > > good. It's fun actually to watch them and their crap go down. A badly
> > > written rootkit from Sony? I'm laughing essential parts of my body off
> > > right now.
> > >
> > > Wolfgang
> >
> > Spiegel.De reporting about "the PR debacle" (in german)
> > <http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/netzkultur/0,1518,383051,00.html>
> >
> > - - Burkhard
>
> I have not yet found any non-Linux English report on this that points
> out it's really Microsoft's lack of system security that would let a
> CDROM install system files that cause the problem, right?

There is that. ;)

Sony's DRM rootkit also appears to violate the Computer Misuse Act in the UK
and may have legal problems in other parts of Europe. Plus, I'm fascinated to
read the idea that Sony appear to have used parts of LAME code in their
product, does that count as shooting yourself in the foot? Oh, and of course
it doesn't work on Linux or Macs anyway. Boycotting Sony is probably
worthwhile, although that probably won't mean a great deal for most people on
this list. It's probably enough that we continue to forge ahead with building
a positive alternative while we watch the corporate music business screw
itself into the ground. ;)

--
cheers,
tim hall