Re: [linux-audio-user] terrible sineshaper dependencies

From: Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 20:01:41 EET

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 02:08 -0800, Tracey Hytry wrote:
> Fernando says:
> > What I don't know is if it would be worth the effort given that fc4
> > appears to have the proper versions. I'll cross that bridge when I get
> > time to build those packages for Planet CCRMA...
>
> And when you get that done there will be a whole bunch of new programs
> based on the lastest and greatest libraries that won't be able to be
> compiled on FC4?

Of course! Such is life...

> This has been happening for years, just a fact of
> life in the linux lane(which I prefer over the "it just works, trust
> us" software lines).

I have had this problem with qt before (ie: developers wanting the
latest version for the app to build - I had to build newer versions of
qt to support newer apps) but I don't think I had hit it with gtk2.

I'm pretty sure there must be some very convenient api feature in the
new version of gtk2, but I still would urge developers to stay one or
two major versions back in their requirements, so that their software is
easier to build on older versions of distros.

-- Fernando