Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] Audio CDs/DRM/Windows rootkit. What's next?

From: S. Massy <smassy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 16:32:06 EET

On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 11:13:21AM +0000, studio-64 wrote:
> HI
> May be off topic at the moment but will be very on topic if they get
> this in!
>
> Imagine sending a wav file to someone who then can't read it because you
> can't attest the file!
>
> maybe even CD players that won't play certain CD's (made with
> Audacity/Ardour come to mind)
>
> The rootkit is just the start I think.
I totally agree; this was just a stupid, awkward, premature attempt at
implementing something larger, most likely a quickfix while waiting for
something else. Anybody caring about music, computers, and freedom, as I
would guess most people do here, has got to be in on that one... Or
they'll look pretty silly whenever someone manages to get some
DECSS-like encryption on music-CDs, and ISPs are suddenly compelled by
law to filter any audio file which doesn't sport an "approved" tag.
Ultimately, it might geopardise, not only our ability to listen to music
from our favourite artist/band/musician, but also to create our own
music/audio art (at least without paying hefty sums to the big bullies).
Keep your ears open,
S.M.

--
smassy@email-addr-hidden