Re: [linux-audio-user] Problems starting JACK...

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 20:52:45 EET

On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 18:26 +0000, Michael T D Nelson wrote:
> Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> > Have you tried whether switching off standard output capture on
> > qjackctl/setup/options makes any difference on that "jackstart sync
> > pipe" issue?
>
> I have now! :o)
>
> But no, it doesn't make a difference. All that happens now is that JACK
> tries to start, and then stops, without the messages between.

i just remembered something.

this has happened to me twice so far. something in some package update
(i don't know which package) can mess up the /etc/modules.conf file. the
result is that the required kernel module for realtime-lsm does not
load. i had to go in to the file with emacs, delete the "realtime" line
and reenter it by hand (it ends up with binary characters present in the
line, invisible to the naked eye).

i discovered this by looking at /var/log/messages, and also by noting
that "realtime" doesn't show up in lsmod's output.

i wish i could spare the time to find out which package cause(s|d) this,
but i can't.

--p