Re: [linux-audio-user] terrible sineshaper dependencies

From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 22:37:30 EET

On Sunday 06 November 2005 03:35, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-11-05 at 22:48 +0000, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Hi. Has anyone got sineshaper installed on FC3? I'm having the most
> > terrible dependency problems. gtkmm, then glibmm, and the list of deps
> > goes on and on. I thought that Fedora extras handled thes deps, but
> > adding the urls to yum for the fedora extras hasn't solved it. Yum says
> > gtkmm doesn't exist.
>
> The proper package to install from Fedora Extras would be:
>
> yum install libglademm24-devel
>
> That will pull in all the proper dependencies...
> But that will not be enough, see below.
>
> > I'm not
> > knocking anything. I'd just like to get sineshaper working, as it sounds
> > like a good synth. Any tips, hints. Nigel.
>
> In FC3 the gtk2 packages in the core distribution are not new enough to
> support the required version of libglademm and friends (2.4.x vs.
> 2.6.x). So, there are packages for all the required stuff in Fedora
> Extras but the versions are not new enough[*] for fc3. It looks like fc4
> has newer stuff that would work (I have not tried)...
>
> Upgrading gtk2 in fc3 would not be impossible (so that all other
> packages can go up in version), but such a central package usually has a
> lot of dependencies (ie: other packages that depend on it) that are
> sometimes broken by new versions - so then you need to upgrade the
> dependencies and so on and so forth. When I have tried to do this in the
> past it has not been worth the effort.
>
> -- Fernando
>
> [*] or, for proper Fedora bashing, they are, perhaps, "terribly
> antiquated" or "older than dirt"? :-) ;-) :-)

Hi Fernando. I've got Sineshaper working on Debian Sarge thanks to a lot of
help. Libglademm-2.4-dev needed the following deps.
pkg-config, libglib 2.0-dev, libatk 1.0-dev, libexpat 1-dev, libfreetype
6-dev, libfontconfig1-dev, libxft-dev, libpango 1.0-dev, libgtk2.0-dev,
libxml2-dev, libglade2-dev, libsigc++-2.0-0, libglibmm-2.4-1, libgtkmm-2.4-1,
libglademm-2.4-1, libsigc++-2.0-dev, libglibmm-2.4-dev, libgtkmm-2.4-dev.
I'd like to say that I'm very happy with FC1, 2, and 3, with audio apps from
planetccrma. I'm going to DL FC4, but as FC3 took me 5 days on dialup to DL
the iso's, I have to psych myself up a bit for another 5 days worth.
Sineshaper is a really nice synth, but it's not worth pushing yourself into
mental overload to get it to work on Fedora. Thanks for all your work on the
audio apps. Nigel.