[linux-audio-user] Ingo's RT patch: please tell this newbie the best jack settings

From: thewade <pdman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 11 2005 - 03:05:25 EET

Hello,

I have given up on the mainstream Fedora 4 kernel and am trying to build
2.6.14-rt5. So far I can get it built and running, but without jack it
seems.

I am wondering what are the best settings for jack using Ingo's RT
patch: how do I make the most of the patch?
(I am trying to use CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT=y)
I use qjackctl and my .jackrc is: /usr/local/bin/jackd -u -dalsa -dhw:1
-r48000 -p128 -n2 -m -H -M
hw:1 corresponds to the card number from /proc/asound/cards associated
with my RME Hammerfall Multiface.

I may have to change my .asoundrc as in the mainstream kernel cards 0
and 1 are switched for some reason (if that is what is sotpping jackd).
The only message I get is something to the effect of NTpolltime timed
out, or something... My biggest question is not how to get jackd working
- I will fix that. I am curious how to get PD running on my machine
processing complex patches but with a latency of 5.33 msec (128 frame
buffer size I think) or less. I would even settle fo 10msec (256) with
no XRUNS.

Thank you all for your help!
-thewade