Re: [linux-audio-user] Ingo's RT patch: please tell this newbie the best jack settings

From: Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 11 2005 - 13:22:37 EET

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 20:10:20 -0500
Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 17:05 -0800, thewade wrote:
> > I am curious how to get PD running on my machine
> > processing complex patches but with a latency of 5.33 msec (128 frame
> > buffer size I think) or less. I would even settle fo 10msec (256) with
> > no XRUNS.
> >

> You don't need the -rt kernel for that, the standard kernel will work.
>
> Lee

Oh well, not for everyone. If you want to be sure and have no xrun
whatsoever a -rt kernel is definetly the better choice imho (don't have
data to back that up though), especially because of the irq handler
prios, which are not available on vanila kernels (maybe that has changed
though). Seeting up the priorities right is crucial in setting up an
audio system. I.e. i can run buffersizes of 32 or even 16 frames w/o
xruns (except for application provoked ones), but of course the context
switch overhead wastes quite a few cycles at these insane settings. But
it's a good test case so one can be sure everything will be smooth at 64
frames.

Have fun,
Flo

--