Re: [linux-audio-user] Ardour and Linux

From: Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 11 2005 - 14:54:57 EET

Quoting Soenke Hahn <SoenkeHahn@email-addr-hidden>:

> > I want to have a look at Ardour and if you could point me to an OS and
> how
>
> >to install what, then that'd help me a lot.
> >

> I'd recommend ubuntu: www.ubuntu.com
> It's good for beginners and laptops :)
> Take a look in the wiki there on how to install software...i think there

I'd recommend anything else than ubuntu! As an ardour dev, I've tried
helping people fix their ubuntu systems to get ardour (and other
application) working smoothly. They've ran into strange problems etc. which
newbies can't handle by themselves.

If you are a linux newbie and your primary goal is to get Linux audio
working smoothly, you should go for Fedore Core 3 + Planet CCRMA
(http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/)

(btw. I have nothing against ubuntu or debian, I use debian myself and
wouldn't change it for the world. But. I'm not a newbie)

  Sampo Savolainen