Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Update on savihost + Vsti's under wine

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 11 2005 - 17:32:41 EET

On 11/10/05, Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 17:57 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Maybe you can check this out on your end. Run 'winecfg' and change
> > the audio driver from the default OSS driver to the Alsa driver. Exit
> > winecfg and now run Crystal using Savihost. On my end it no longer
> > uses 100% CPU.
> >

> Wine should be using ALSA by default - same as all the major distros and
> all new Linux audio apps. Can you report this as a bug to the Wine
> developers?
>
> Lee

Lee,
   One reasonable bit of feedback on the idea of Wine using the Alsa
driver as default is that (they contend) Alsa doesn't have a default
mixer where as OSS does. One individual considered this very
important. I don't actually know if it's true, but I think it is.

   I would agree that it would be important to me to be able to run
multiple Savihost-ed VSTs at the same time. I think the best answer
for that is for someone to fix the Wine JAck driver.

   They also believe their Wine OSS driver is less buggy than their
Alsa driver. No comments from me on that one. (Well, one - If true
they should fix it!) ;-)

   As for the CPU usage issue that Nigel and I have seen, a quick
search in Google using

alsa oss cpu usage problems

yields lots of results showing applications that have seen this sort
of issue outside of Wine. Often it appears to be an app issue, not
really an Alsa or OSS-emulation issue, but it's there.

   Just info really.

- Mark