Re: [linux-audio-user] Ardour and Linux

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 11 2005 - 17:46:08 EET

On 11/11/05, Florence Berbain <fberbain@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Sampo Savolainen wrote:
>

> >I'd recommend anything else than ubuntu! As an ardour dev, I've tried
> >helping people fix their ubuntu systems to get ardour (and other
> >application) working smoothly. They've ran into strange problems etc. which
> >newbies can't handle by themselves.
> >
> >If you are a linux newbie and your primary goal is to get Linux audio
> >working smoothly, you should go for Fedore Core 3 + Planet CCRMA
> >(http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/)
> >

> What about DeMuDi? Would that be a good choice? (I'm not a linux newbie,
> but I'm a sound newbie).
>
> Florence

It seems to be a religious issue. Folks with Redhat background like
the Planet. Folks with Debian background seem to like DeMuDi. I used
the Planet for a long time and it was a great, great set of tools.
Easy to use and very good results. I now mostly use Gentoo.

I would not *necessarily* recommend Gentoo for a new Linux user, other
than to say that once he/she got it up and running they would be a
much more experienced Linux user. ;-)

Cheers,
Mark