Re: [linux-audio-user] Problems starting JACK...

From: Carlos Pino <pinojazz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 13 2005 - 19:06:22 EET

> Hi,sorry about the delay of the answer,I'd been very busy.
> First of all tank you very much for interesting in my message,I
> couldn't imagine to have a response from the main developer of one of
> the best things made for Linux-Audio,and excuse my english.
>
> I'm very newbie in this kind of linux tasks,and try to learn as
> much as I can.
> I'm trying to build my own audio-system and compile only the more
> ussual apps for me;Ardour and Jack are the main core of this.By now I
> take the Demudi kernel till I learn to compile my own,and compile with
> succes Ardour and some other apps.Before try to compile jack I
> installed it from Sid and everythings works fine but the message
> that shows at the window messages, that doesn't have influence with
> the normal function of jackd.
>

> Paul Davis escribió:
>
>> On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 17:33 +0100, Carlos Pino wrote:
>>

>>> Yeah,you are right .I complied jackd as you say and the "cannot
>>> write to jackstart sync pipe 4 (Bad file descriptor)" message
>>> doesn't appears anymore.Now the problem is with ardour,that
>>> doesn't want to start after thhis compilation.
>>> Here is the output :
>>>

>> my guess is that you have just committed the cardinal sin of setting up
>> your system so that there are two versions of JACK installed.you
>> started one, and ardour is trying to start the other. i wish we could
>> detect this situation and report it more accurately, but we don't know
>> how to right now. you should never ever have more than 1 JACK install on
>> a machine unless you are confident that you know everything there is to
>> know about JACK, and perhaps not even then.
>>

> Ok it will be present in the future.
>
>> when you recompiled JACK, did you remove the old version first?
>>
> I did many things in the procces and probably no.At the second time
> I remove all about jack and try again.But if I remove the compilation
> installed and do an apt-get install jackd,everything goes back to the
> fine working but the "cannot write to jackstart sync pipe 4 (Bad file
> descriptor)" message return.
>
>> what
>> --prefix= argument did you give configure?
>>

> First I did --prefix=/usr and later leave blank to use the default
> settings
>
> Now I'm at the begin again,I removed all the jack staff and have the
> source code to try to compile.I will read more about this and see what
> happens.
>
>> --p
>>

> Again thank you very much for your interest.
>
> Saludos from Spain
> Cheers
> -- Carlos.

 Hi again Paul and everyone at the list,after recompile jack I'd
recompile ardour and qjackctl.Everything is working better now .
  To compile jack I did:

   configure --prefix=/usr --enable-posix-shm
--with-default-tmpdir=/mnt/ramfs

 For Ardour I did:

  scons PREFIX=/usr BUILD_SSE_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 USE_SSE_EVERYWHERE=0 KSI=0

For qjackctl :
 configure --prefix=/usr

   Thanks a lot.
Saludos