Re: [linux-audio-user] Edirol UA-25: Any issues?

From: Clemens Ladisch <clemens@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 13:55:52 EET

Pete Leigh wrote:
> On 18/11/05, Clemens Ladisch <clemens@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > Pete Leigh wrote:
>
> > > I gather from the downloadable manual that it will only do 16/44.1
> > > with advanced mode switched to off, and only 24bits with advanced
> > > mode on, at least under windows. I'd be interested to know whether
> > > 16/48 could be achieved under Linux, despite this (ie if it's a
> > > limitation of the windows drivers).
> >
> > The advanced mode is supported in Linux.
>
> Anyone know if the advanced mode can be coerced into 16 bits?

Advanced mode has 24 bits only.

> I mean, if I run jack with -S, to force 16 bit mode, will it fail, if the
> device is set in advanced mode?

No, jack just tries to use 16 bits first.

> (I'm worried about hd bandwidth at 96/24 because I only have a slow
> hd at the moment,

This shouldn't matter.

> and also I have this possibly useless idea to use the onboard soundcard for
> a monitor, with the usb device only sending input, while recording... since
> the onboard device is 16bits only, it seems this would be easier with 16 bit
> input)

Those devices won't use the same clock anyway.

> >All USB audio devices move data in one-millisecond packets, so the
> >achievable latency depends _only_ on the software, not on what device you
> >use.
>
> Just to be clear, then, does "All USB" include USB 2.0, so that 1.1 and 2.0
> are equivalent for latency, and differ only in bandwidth?

USB 2.0 uses 8000 microframes per second, but EHCI don't interrupt more often
than once per millisecond by default, so it doesn't make a difference.

Regards,
Clemens