[linux-audio-user] Problems with Novation Speedio

From: Peter Clarke <pgclarke@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 10:17:17 EET

Hi all,
I would like to use my Novation Speedio with Jack. The
Speedio is a USB audio/MIDI interface - sounds like it's
similar to the Edirol UA-25 recently discussed here.

The MIDI side works fine, but I'm having problems with the
audio. The sound is terrible, both on playback and record.
The music plays too slowly, at too low pitch, and with lots
of crackles. I've tried just about every combination of
settings for Jack, but it hasn't helped. I've tried
Rosegarden and XMMS - the sound is just the same. The
Speedio hardware works fine with Win***s. I also have a
cheap CM8738-based soundcard, and that works just fine with
Jack.

My system is Gentoo 2.6.13 on a Pentium 4 PC. I've just
updated to Jack 0.100.0 (from the 0.99 currently 'approved'
by Gentoo), but that didn't help. Kernel support for OSS
is turned off. I have these modules loaded: snd_seq_midi;
sis900 (for my Ethernet card); realtime; snd_usb_audio;
snd_usb_lib; ohci_hcd; snd_cmipci (for my CMI8738
soundcard); snd_opl3_lib; snd_hwdep; snd_mpu401_uart;
snd_rawmidi; ltserial, ltmodem (for my Winmodem).

I'm guessing it's an issue with the snd-usb-audio driver.
Any ideas? Could it be a conflict with aRts? Does anyone
have the Speedio working properly on a Linux box?

Peter Clarke