Re: [linux-audio-user] IRQ conflicts, acpi, and linux audio

From: Pete Leigh <pete.leigh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 11:46:58 EET

On 20/11/05, thewade <pdman@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> A (in no way) comprehensive search yields that rtirq is a patch, possibly only to
> the 2.4 kernel.

>From what I read, ccrma has a 2.6 kernel patched for realtime low latency.
This patch makes the kernel's interrupt handlers into separate visible
threads, which can then be given different scheduling priorities. rtirq
is a script which automates interrupt handler prioritization optimised for
audio use. Basically, this does in software what you want to do in hardware,
it seems. (From reading
http://lac.zkm.de/2005/papers/fernando_lopez_lezcano.pdf
- I've only skimmed the surface of this, I'm sure there are people here far
more knowledgable than I am on the subject! ;-)

> 63-0100-000001-00101111-071504-SiS755-258KA000-Y2KC,

Uniwill 258ka0 (aka fujitsu-siemens Amilo A 1630, and others) ?

> If I cannot do this I might find where my modem is enabled or where
> drivers are built for it in the kernel and rebuild the kernel without thoes
> drivers.

My own preference would be kernel tinkering over bios tinkering, *by far*
because it's far safer - especially when the exact bios to use is in doubt
(if indeed there is one with the capabilities you want). Loading the
wrong bios can be a non-recoverable error!

- Pete.