[linux-audio-user] midisport snd-usb-audio mysteries

From: Hans Fugal <hans@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 23:45:58 EET

My M-Audio Radium 61 is on the fritz again. With the recent changes in
udev, where udev replaces hotplug, I had to do some trickery to get the
firmware to load. When it finally did, it dumped me into a problem I've
seen many times before: the keyboard is recognized as existing by the
ALSA sequencer, but there doesn't seem to be any midi data coming from
it (neither zyn nor aseqview). Unplugging, powering off, etc. yields no
different result. Converseley, when it's working fine I can unplug,
power off, etc. and it always comes back just fine. Well, always except
for the time when it decides to go awol. I've also tried unloading
snd-usb-audio.

In the past the problem has been resolved by rebooting, but I'm feeling
adventurous and don't particularly need to use the keyboard at the
moment, so I think I'll try to track it down.

So my question is, where does the problem most likely lie? Is the
firmware perhaps not loading properly for some reason? Is something in
one of the ALSA kernel modules in a strange state? snd-usb-audio, or one
of the other snd- modules, or maybe the *hci modules?

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach