[linux-audio-user] Re: Problems with Novation Speedio

From: Peter Clarke <pgclarke@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 17:23:27 EET

> Does "aplay something.wav" work?
>
> What are the contents of /proc/asound/cardX/stream0?

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I haven't been able to
figure out how to play through the Speedio without running
Jack. Running in XMMS (the GUI part), I can select the
ALSA driver as the output plugin, then select "Speedio: USB
Audio (hw:1,0)" for output. But when I hit play, I get an
error: "Failed to open audio output". In fact, I get this
error with any ALSA output choice except "default PCM
output" (which plays fine through my regular soundcard).

I turned next to aplay. This is the output of aplay -l:

card 0: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 0:
CMI8738-MC6 [C-Media PCI DAC/ADC]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 1:
CMI8738-MC6 [C-Media PCI 2nd DAC]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: CMI8738MC6 [C-Media PCI CMI8738-MC6], device 2:
CMI8738-MC6 [C-Media PCI IEC958]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Speedio [Speedio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

If I run aplay somefile.wav, with no other parameters, it
plays fine through the regular soundcard. But if I try
aplay -Dhw:1,0 somefile.wav, I get an error: "Sample format
non [sic] available". I tried -f cd and all available 24
bit formats with the -f switch (since Jack thinks the
Speedio is a 24 bit device) but none worked.

The output of /proc/asound/card1/stream0 is:

Novation EMS Speedio at usb-0000:00:03.1-2, full speed : USB
Audio

Playback:
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S24_3LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
    Rates: 44100, 48000

Capture:
  Interface 2
    Altset 1
    Format: S24_3LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 2 IN (SYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000

I guess that's telling me the correct format to use with
aplay is S24_3LE, so I tried this again. It gave me the
message "Warning: format is changed to S16_LE" and then, as
before, "Sample format non available".

Sorry if these are elementary misunderstandings on my part -
this is all a bit new to me. Any more ideas of things to
try?

Regards,

Peter C