Re: [linux-audio-user] Text to MP3

From: Wolfgang Woehl <tito@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 24 2005 - 00:09:31 EET

Terrence <terrencevak-lau@email-addr-hidden>:
> Hello, all,
> Does anyone know if there's a way to convert text files to MP3s
> in Linux? I'd like to be able to take some of my text files and make
> audio out of them so I can listen to them while walking.

"mbrola" (free-beer license, closed source from academic sector) takes a
list of phonemes as input to create audio output. So you need a
language specific text-to-phonemes tool. The mbrola site has links for
those (festival, txt2pho etc.). To turn textfiles into ogg/mp3 you
would setup a chain of shell pipes like

cat textfile | txt2pho | mbrola voicefile - - | encoder

http://tcts.fpms.ac.be/synthesis/mbrola.html
Are you a noisecore person? You'd then just get rid of parts 2 and 3 of
that very chain of course.

Wolfgang