Re: [linux-audio-user] OT Good read: James Jamerson -- Interview With The Ghost Of Studio A

From: Wolfgang Woehl <tito@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 25 2005 - 00:49:33 EET

Burkhard Woelfel <versuchsanstalt@email-addr-hidden>:
> Makes me think of Dizzy Gillespie's technique of playing the trumpet.
> As if it wasn't enough to just play that stuff. No, there's got to be
> a way to make it even more impossible.

Right, they got kicks from that I guess. Gordy writes about a session
where Jamerson wouldn't play the requested downbeat stuff but add
touches and twists all over the place. He's about to throw him out,
gives him a last chance to play straight, staring at him during the
first bars, relaxing as he hears him "behave", turns away and
-badaboom- hears an outer space lick thrown in, Jamerson all smiles,
whole studio smiles and Gordy smiles too because he can't other but
like what he just heard.

> > Burkhard, you play bass too?
>
> It's my favourite instrument, yes :-)

How do you go about recording it? Whatever bass I record always sounds
crap, no face, no nrrrk.

Wolfgang