[linux-audio-user] Alsa support for ZOOM G2.u1 and generic usb audio devices in general

From: Cesare <cesare@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 25 2005 - 13:52:44 EET

Hi,

I've just bought myself (€130, in Italy) a Zoom 2G.u1 guitar effect
pedal (http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/g21u/index.php).

It is a very good sounding effect if you're on a budget, like me, and
with my strat plugged in it sounds like this:

http://www.cesaremarilungo.com/download/music/Hope_IN_PROGRESS_20051125.mp3

What makes it interesting is that it has a usb interface so it works
like an audio interface. You can listen to the mix from the DAW from its
headphone jack along with the direct output of the effected guitar (no
additional latency). The sampling is done at 24bit/96kHz.

I bought it to complete my transition to linux and I would really like
to use it with jackd. In windows and macos x it works without any driver
(it is seen as a generic usb audio device), and in fact through USB it
is limited to 16bit/44.1kHz.

The question is: how can I get it to work with alsa, and therefore jackd?

I compiled my kernel (2.6.13) without the usb-audio support, as I read
somewhere that it can interfere with alsa usb implementation. And I
guess that recompiling the kernel with it wouldn't allow me to use it
with jackd anyway.

Thanks in advance.

c.