Re: [linux-audio-user] [ANN] jack_capture v0.0.1

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Fri Nov 25 2005 - 21:54:17 EET

On Fri, 25 Nov, 2005 at 11:26AM -0800, Kjetil S. Matheussen spake thus:

> james:
> >On Fri, 25 Nov, 2005 at 12:34AM -0800, Kjetil S. Matheussen spake thus:
> >>
> >> http://www.notam02.no/arkiv/src/
> >>

> >I normally use timemachine for recording like this - how does this
> >differ?
>
> timemachine is a different kind of program. Its a GUI thing that is ment
> to be running all the time.
>
> This is just a quick tool to get the sound going into your loudspeakers as
> quickly as possible into disk. It happens quite a lot when I play with PD
> or jamin, for example. What happened previously, when I had something
> cool going, was that I had to start timemachine (which name does not
> start with jack, so I allways use a lot of time remembering its name),
> connect the correct jack ports into it in qjackctl, and press the
> recording button. In addition, as you say, timemachine use this (and I
> really mean it) stupid w64 fileformat by default, and I very seldom
> remember to use the -f flag to override that. Instead of doing all that,
> now I can just write "jack_capture", and it starts recording immmediately.

Well, that's me convinced. Now I also realise that I've been swearing
at timemachine for no reason and I have another tool to add to my
toolbox, or - hey, why not mix a metaphor? - arsenal.

James

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)