[linux-audio-user] Re: amd64 - distro questions...

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Nov 26 2005 - 04:02:15 EET

> > Why not use ~x86? Think of the following scenario:
> >
> > * app-theoretical has ~x86 but not ~amd64 in the latest release
> > because it has been reported as unstable by most people..
> > * app-theoretical depends on lib-theoretical.
> > * You have lib-theoretical installed but it is a version previous to
> > the reqs on this latest release of app-theoretical - many of your
> > programs require this lib - you have a *stable* install of this
> > library.
> > * The new release of lib-theoretical does not work on amd64 and is
> > known to have many issues for many people. Therefore the keyword
> > ~amd64 is not included.
> >
> > You run emerge on app-theoretical with the ~x86 accept flags and it
> > replaces lib-theoretical with something that does not work. Not even
> > updating your programs will fix the issue.
> >
> > It also causes problems when you mix flags like that because of the
> > way emerge chooses to install requirements. You just don't do it or
> > eventually your system will start to act shitty. Gentoo has a good
> > article on this in one of their FAQ or something for the amd64.
> >

> Thanks. Interesting info.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

On mandriva 2006, not gentoo but i use a number of x86 packages on my
x86_64 distro. Cedega works well, and i've got a 32 bit and a 64 bit
mplayer. Though with the latest mplayer i'm needed to use the 32 bit
one much less. I run a 64 bit konqueror as a browser and haven't run
into any problems. I haven't tried xfst on this machine yet.

Loki