Re: [linux-audio-user] Linux Lighting

From: Olivier Guilyardi <ml@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 28 2005 - 18:15:01 EET

Jacob wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 12:43:03PM +0100, Olivier Guilyardi wrote:
>
>>I've seen some 100 ? DMX controller on the parallel port (IMG Stageline DMX-60).
>
> I had access to a parallel port device made by soundlight, it was
> controlled by sending ASCII sequences to /dev/lp? .

After investigation, I'll try and stick with hardware that's supported by
dmx4linux, as the Enttec USB controllers.

>>Power consumption is not included in this price. I want to play in some Parisian
>>clubs: electric power is their problem, not mine.
>
> It was the price of dimmer packs and lamps I thought about. The power
> consumption relates to the amount of light that comes out of the light
> source (standard tungsten). If you have to illuminate a large area,
> you'll be probably not happy with 300W light bulbs. Especially if you
> would like to use dark intensive colors.

I see.. Well, since DMX seems to be a common standard, I'll just look for places
with a proper DMX equipment and bring a controller in my backpack ;-)

>>If the club's lighting installation isn't "DMX
>>compatible", would a set of dimmers do the trick ?
>
> Even in non-DMX environments I would expect to find dimmer packs. Before
> DMX was standard, voltage was used to control to packs (0..10V) which is
> still supported by some current dimmer packs. Perhaps you try to get a
> DMX-to-voltage converter in those cases.

Trouble is this may require lots of wiring and the like, which clubs owners
could dislike. This is an interesting point though.

>>Can I expect to
>>find such "DMX compatible" lighting installations (like dimmers I just
>>plug my controller into) in most of clubs/discos/concert halls ?
>>(I suppose that I should just ask places I know...)
>
> Always ask in advance if you are not sure, sometimes clubs offer
> technical specs e.g. via internet.
>
> BTW: If you have special requirements concerning the colors, get a set
> of filters on your own.

This just sounds like asking "Do you have a drumset?", but still bringing my own
cymbals.. I like it :-)

--
  og