Re: [linux-audio-user] libsndfile - ogg, mp3

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Thu Dec 01 2005 - 12:26:06 EET

Pete Leigh wrote:

> On 01/12/05, Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com> wrote:
> > This does it for me:
>
> > http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html
>
> Daunting indeed! But see also:
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/marketing-list/2005-February/msg00040.html
>
> Judging by that, it seems that GPL decoders (and even encoders) may
> be ok with the patent holders (though I suspect you'd want to
> confirm it with the source of the info).
>
> OTOH, short of an explicit and public exemption clause for non-commercial
> use, every encouragement for people to move over to ogg is probably
> worthwhile :)

This is actually not all that helpful. There are a number of people
linking libsndfile dynamically to commercial applications. Add code
for MP3 then makes it hard for them.

I'd also hate to get into a situation where these people have to pay
someone else to use the library that I have put so much work into ;-).

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo
"Do I do everything in C++ and teach a course in advanced swearing?"
-- David Beazley at IPC8, on choosing a language for teaching