Re: [linux-audio-user] The best distro for music creation

From: Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 02:49:34 EET

On 12/4/05, Christoph Eckert <ce@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > With all the press about Ubuntu I'd imaginge it's
> > worth a look, but I don't know who uses it for audio.
>
> I heard rumors that it's a bit hard to convert it into an audio machine,
> but I also heard about people who have been very successful using it
> for audio.

I'm actually in the middle of attempting to do this with Ubuntu 5.10,
"breezy badger." So far I've had no problems with finding
applications, but getting a kernel that is suitable for low-latency
operation was a bit of a hassle (I should note here that I have
compiled my own kernel only once, so I have to have baby-steps
instructions). I found this:

http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/2.6.14_Vanilla

I've followed these instructions, and turned on the preemptable kernel
function in the kernel config, and so far so good. My hardware is
crap, though - I haven't actually tried this on a decent computer yet,
but I'm sure it would work better.

As far as Ubuntu in general is concerned, I love it. I've used
Slackware for a year or two in an attempt to learn as much as I could
about linux, but end the end, I got tired of trying to make everything
work. There is something wonderfully easy about the apt repositories.
 I fully recommend it.

Josh