Re: [linux-audio-user] Which Windows XP File System is Readable by Linux?

From: Thomas Ilnseher <illth@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 03:28:02 EET

Lee Revell schrieb:

>On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 00:44 +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>

>>Hallo,
>>The Other hat gesagt: // The Other wrote:
>>

>>>So what file system should I install Windows XP with to be able to
>>>read and write to it with Linux?
>>>

>>FAT32.
>>

>Um, NTFS read/write works too.

NTFS read works reliable.

NTFS write support:

1) with the inkernel driver you can only overwrite existing files
without changing their size.
2) with some FUSE driver avail somewhere, you might be able to create
files, change file sizes,
and so on. but it might not work (they say that won't b0rk anything, it
will just fail). if you are interested, RTFM.

what i would suggest:

a) do not use windowz3 ;)

ok, as you seem to need it, here is my suggestion:

partition your disk:

use ntfs for your primary windowze partition, and add a small (~1GByte)
partition with fat32 to exchange data.
ths way you can read the windows data from within linux, copy files
acroos easily using that partition.

you also may use ext3 for your linux partition. ext3's performance may
be subpar to reiserfs or xfs, but there are some
windows tools that can read and write data from an ext2 partition. cause
ext3 is an extension of ext2, you can use these
toolz to read your data.

i'd still suggest you to have this data-exchange fat32 partition, as
it's easier to just read data from that partition in windowze,
instead of first having to use some tool to copy it over from linux,
but: this tool might be of interest considering the following:

you are in teh M$ OS, and you just notice that you forgot to copy
something from linux, so you have to reboot to linux, copy
over, reboot to windowze. this really sucks, so the possibility to read
the linux partition within windows comes handy.

and if you care about FS performance, i'd suggest to have /home on a
seperate ext3 partition, as /home usually holds all the
"data", and use what you like for the / partition.

also, ther is maybe some tool that can read reiser partitions under
windows, but i don't remember, use g00gle ;)

tom