[linux-audio-user] Re: [OT] Ubuntu and automatic mount of USB drive (was Re: 64bit linux audio)

From: Renick Bell <renick@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 19:38:11 EET

> I was infuriated to find that the latest version of Ubuntu does not
> AUTOMATICALLY mount a USB drive as soon as it's plugged it. It does
> appear on the Gnome desktop, with a nice descriptive icon, but as soon
> as the user clicks it they get PERMISSION DENIED.
>
> Christ, it's 2005, do they still expect us to fuck with config files?

I've got to say that I had no problems in this regard. Plug it in and
it showed up. Throw some files on it and grab others off it. Unmount
it, plug in a different one, and it shows up, too. I've done this in
Ubuntu Breezy with five different USB drives. This was on a standard
fresh install of Breezy to an ordinary desktop machine.

Now, if the owner of the directory on the USB drive was different than
the user doing the moving on the Breezy system, that's a different
story... I've had to change owners of folders or permissions at times,
but it's supposed to be like that, isn't it?

--
Renick Bell
http://www.the3rd2nd.com