Re: [linux-audio-user] How to get good vocal sound

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 15:55:20 EET

Bill Allen wrote:
> I've been struggling with a technique problem. How do you get your
> vocals to sound good? I know that you can't make a silk purse from a
> sow's ear, but you can make the best of what you've got. What
> combination of plugins and settings do you use to get the best sound
> from vocals particularly in Ardour? I know that this is one of those
> subjective questions for which the best answer is try it out yourself
> and find what sounds best, but there are so many plugins (an
> embarassment of riches), each of which has many settings, that a brute
> force search of all the combinations would take forever - not to mention
> that after a while, my poor ears become exhausted with the effort and
> refuse to hear differences anymore. So what I'm really looking for is
> good starting points to work from.
>
> One combination that I like is GVerb to get depth and L/C/R Delay to get
> width. Even with those two getting the settings right takes time. For
> comunication, I've included a jack rack with some settings I've found
> that work OK. I would love your critiques and suggestions for other setups.

I'm of the opinion that you should work on getting the vocals to sound
good dry -- before adding any effects. What are you using to record the
vocals? I recommend a good condensor mike and a pre-amp, and use
balanced XLR for the entire signal path, at least until where the signal
is going into your audio interface, where you probably just have RCA or
1/8" inputs.

-- Brett