[linux-audio-user] Re: best distro for making music

From: Brian Dunn <job17and9@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 18:57:12 EET

>GENTOO. Man. Perhaps it's just me, but it took me
months to get Gentoo up and >running, with help from a
couple of folks posting to this thread. I admit it
>wasn;t months continually. I got a bit frustrated,
and left it partially >installed on the drive, going
back to it from time to time, as it wasn't
>going to beat me. Now it's working just fine, music
apps and all.

Nigel Henery:

Yah, that's where i'm at. It's nigh on finals week
and i'm procrastinating in my studies to make time to
wrestle with gentoo video drivers ( i845G, no high rez
and no /dev/agpgart, currently seeking help as
Higgaion in the gentoo forums, if anyone has overcome
these insues before and would like to help :-) ). So
i was really just wondering if gentoo has ever
successfully been used as a low-latency audio system,
to determine weather i should toss in the gloves, as
i'm feeling rather defeated. But i can't think of
anything worth doing with XP on the 50 Gigs i stole
from it's drive for gentoo, so I suppose i'll let it
simmer and just try not to think about it 'til the
semester is over.

thanks to everyone who replied. I'm thinking seriously
about replacing that Mandrivia with either ubunto or
planet ccrma so i can still use my computer for some
fun in the gentoo-interum of consernation...
because mandrivia 2006 totaly wacked out my urpmi (the
dependency resolver for rpms in mdk) and now it fusses
about md5 keys, and can't resolve it's own
dependencies, and i told it to just to do it anyways..
OOPS.
just to be fair, I've got mdk 10.1 on this here laptop
now, and it's been rather stable and useful. So an
other lesson i learned from trial and error and y'alls
replies "if it ain't broke..."

Gratefull,
Brian