Re: vocal effect (was Re: [linux-audio-user] How to get good vocal sound)

From: Pete Leigh <pete.leigh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 23:41:14 EET

On 06/12/05, Cesare Marilungo <cesare@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Pitch correction with drastic settings (like the Atares AutoTune).
> Sometimes it's also used to fake the sound of a vocoder.

Funnily enough, curiosity sparked by the original question,
I was reading Tweak's guide to recording vocals[1] and
I read this:

   Q) How do i get vocal effects like on Cher's "Believe"?
   I heard it was done with a Vocoder.

   A) Nope. It was done with a pitch/intonation processor,
   like Antares AutoTune. You get that effect by "abusing"
   the settings. You tell autotune you are singing only Ab
   and and Eb notes and you sing F and C notes. Auto tune
   will bend your vocal notes to the closest selected pitch
   giving that "yodel-like" sound

Is that the same thing? Unfortunately (or fortunately,
according to taste :) I haven't heard Cher's "Believe".

1) http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_record_vocals.htm
and http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_process_vocal_tracks.htm
No Linux content, but an interesting read..

- Pete.