Re: vocal effect (was Re: [linux-audio-user] How to get good vocal sound)

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 01:41:24 EET

On 12/7/05, Lars Luthman <larsl@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > I don't see that this specific LADSPA plugin has any side channel
> > input to allow a synth to drive it. Not to say it cannot be done, but
> > if it's that easy pump out a little demo and let's hear what it sounds
> > like. Sounds like fun to me.
>
> No side channel needed, the builtin Om note module transforms MIDI to a
> frequency signal that you can use to control the pitch shifter. But for
> auto tuning you need to know the pitch of the dry sound as well, so I
> guess it's not as easy as I thought.
>
> --
> Lars Luthman

I'm sure there's some semantics stuff going on here, but the side
channel I was referring to would have to be on the pitch shifter and
this plugin doesn't have one so there's no way to get it to shift by a
variable amount.

I used the Waves Morphoder quite a lot for a while. Basically you need
pitch detection on the vocal, pitch generation which is generally done
through a synth, and could be Om as you were suggesting, and then you
drive the difference of the pitch detect and the pitch generation into
the pitch shifter to modulate the vocal as desired. Unfortunately this
LADSPA plugin lacks that third channel to tell it how much to shift.

In general, it's pretty darn CPU intensive and not very real time friendly...

...but fun! ;-)

- Mark