Re: vocal effect (was Re: [linux-audio-user] How to get good vocal sound)

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 03:41:29 EET

On 12/7/05, Lars Luthman <larsl@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > > No side channel needed, the builtin Om note module transforms MIDI to a
> > > frequency signal that you can use to control the pitch shifter. But for
> > > auto tuning you need to know the pitch of the dry sound as well, so I
> > > guess it's not as easy as I thought.
> >
> > I'm sure there's some semantics stuff going on here, but the side
> > channel I was referring to would have to be on the pitch shifter and
> > this plugin doesn't have one so there's no way to get it to shift by a
> > variable amount.
>
> Now I'm confused. Are we still talking about the "AM pitchshifter"
> plugin (1433) ? It has a control input port called "Pitch shift" which
> determins the amount of shift, you can connect any control rate signal
> to that port. Or you could downsample an audio rate signal and connect
> that. For realtime modulation it would probably be better to have an
> audio rate input port for the shift amount though.

Yes, we have been, but I think I misread the 'Pitch Shift' section on this page:

http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa-swh/docs/ladspa-swh.html#tth_sEc2.6

and mistook that it has a fixed pitch shift value. Upon rereading the
page that seems incorrect on my part.

None the less, we would still require a way to do pitch detection on
the original vocal signal to know how far we are attemtping to shift,
I believe. It's also unclear from this write up how little you can
shift a signal. Does the pitch shift input support shifting down to a
few cents?

Cheers,
Mark